Monday, October 17, 2016

"I am a big fan of Hindus" - Donald Trump

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/16/donald-trump-promises-closer-links-to-india-if-elected/

This past weekend, on Saturday at a Republican Hindu Coalition, Donald Trump said, "I am a big fan of Hindus." I could go on about how incredibly frustrating this statement itself is, but that is a rant for another day. He also said that the current Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, is a "great man" and expressed interest in creating better ties with India's military. So many red flags.

It's really no surprise the Hindu Republicans would support someone like Trump, because many Hindus have a long history of very Hindu-centric, xenophobic (the irony), and islamaphobic sentiments. Personally, I would never agree that India's Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, is a "great man." He is a from/represents a political party that has been promoting islamaphobia in India for several decades now, and he himself did nothing to stop a genocide from happening when he was the minister of his state of Gujarat, India. Trump saying that he wants to tighten military ties with India is another red flag because India is constantly on the brink of war with Pakistan (for ridiculous reasons) and the US supporting that would be horrific. Another comparison to show how bad a Trump presidency would be, with regards to foreign policies with India...The Indian PM has recently moved towards becoming friendly with Vladimir Putin is (Trump has said some "interesting" things about Putin too).
Like I said, this comes with no surprises. It is just continued disappointment because as an Indian and Hindu, I have to share my identity with people who have so much hatred against so many groups of people and align themselves with some questionable policies and political views.

As someone who was born and raised in Thailand, my biggest news was going to be about the passing of the Thai king, but Shanice covered it. So instead, I shared this because besides my parents and sister, none of my (educated) family in India seems to share my frustration.       

No comments:

Post a Comment