Sunday, September 25, 2016

Declaring Pakistan as a State Sponsor of Terrorism

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/us-lawmakers-introduce-bill-to-designate-pakistan-a-terrorist-state/articleshow/54438988.cms

There is a bill in the US House of Representatives that is proposing that the US declare Pakistan a state sponsor of terrorism. If this bill is passed, I am assuming there would be economic implications for Pakistan and its people. Such implications can only be a bad thing for the economy and the citizens of Pakistan, and will benefit no one. I really don't see how the US declaring a nation as a state sponsor of terrorism will fix the issue in any way (it would probably make things worse).

This wouldn't have been my biggest news for the week, because only Indian news outlets were reporting on the issue (and I don't trust majority of Indian news), but my cousin and I got into an argument about it today so I thought it would make for a good post. I was angrier about the fact that the only reason my cousin was pro this bill (if it is real), is because he carries around a false sense of patriotism and believes that India is somehow better than Pakistan. He also believes that Pakistan is the reason there is on-going tension on the India-Pakistan border, and that somehow the terrorism will stop if we manage to isolate and cripple Pakistan's economy. Out of respect of my cousin, I ignored the rest of his comments on the issue, but I hope that one day he will realize that isolating an economy (especially for a developing country) is probably the worst thing you can do to a country. Adversities and people's helplessness can be taken advantage of by people who are power hungry and only work in their self-interest, and such conditions have led to the rise of many unfortunate leaders in the past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment